Tuesday, September 6, 2016

First Day of School - An Expedition of Learning

I spent today on an expedition to all five of our elementary schools! I started at Carrollton early this morning as the students and parents came flooding through the front doors, eager to find their rooms and get started on a new year full of high expectations. I was able to watch students unload from the buses with drivers, teachers, and volunteers helping to make the start of the new year a positive one for all the children.

Hardy Elementary, Windsor Elementary, and Westside Elementary looked welcoming and fresh thanks to summer painting throughout the school and classrooms. Other buildings will get a facelift in the near future. 

Lunch at Carrsville Elementary was one of the highlights of my day. My taco lunch was hot and tasty and I learned a great deal of information from my new first grade lunch buddies. I then enjoyed some fun time on the playground.

Teachers at all the schools were already implementing strategies that they learned during summer professional development.  For example, Windsor Elementary students worked on the 5 C’s—Creativity, Collaboration, Citizenship, Critical Thinking and Communication. One teacher had a great collaborative activity where students had to describe what each of the 5 C’s looked like and sounded like.  Students were brainstorming and trying to come up with creative ways to define the 5 C’s.

Throughout the day, I saw many classrooms that have evolved into inviting learning environments. New furniture for fourth grade, including flexible seating, was a big hit with the teachers and students.  I’ve included a picture of Ms. Reed’s unique room which allows for a comfortable spaces and areas for students to work.

These are just a few of the wonderful things I experienced today in my travels. We have so many creative teachers!

Have a great week and I’ll share more with you soon.