Thursday, August 30, 2018

Going to Great Heights to Welcome our New Teachers

Our new teachers join us a few days before returning staff arrive, and each year I say a few words to the group.  But this year, I decided to shake things up a bit.  When I shared the vision and mission of Isle of Wight County Schools, I wanted them to understand that we mean what we say.  We go to great lengths--and heights--to prepare our students to be college, career and life ready.

So...I delivered my message standing on top of the tables, and had drummers banging their drums for emphasis throughout my remarks

I am happy to report that all of the new teachers are still with us-- none went running out of the room.  I think it's safe to say they have not had a welcome like that before.

As we prepare for a new school year, it's a good time to revisit our vision--to create a learning environment that will enable every child to discover his or her unique gifts and talents.

The video below contains excerpts from the New Teacher meeting.  Yes, you will see me on a table.  Yes, you will hear the drummers.  And I also had a very kind elementary teacher help me with my shoelace.

Enjoy!